Sunday 21 October 2012

Oh technology, how I love/loathe thee

I have to admit I really enjoyed working our way through Proloquo2go on Wednesday night. For the most part, it is an impressively intuitive program. The part I found the most challenging was attempting to build in opportunities for reciprocal conversation.  It was relatively easy to predict the things our student would need to ask or say, since as parents and teachers it is part of our job to predict what students want and need, but it was much more difficult when we tried to predict how people would react to what she said, and then what she would need to have available as an appropriate response. We remarked more than once to each other as we worked that we hadn't previously appreciated the complexity of a simple conversation. 

After hours of work, we were quite pleased with the results of our collaboration. Then the iPad froze and lost all of our work. Luckily Barb was able to retrieve most of it, but it was a tense few minutes. It was, however, a good reminder that we cannot simply rely on technology, we must develop trusting relationships with our students so that in case of technology failure, they are not left feeling isolated and alone.

Here is a how-to for Proloquo2go:


And one for how to backup and restore lost grids - just in case!


3 comments:

  1. This is what we were finding as well in regards to how complicated communication is. I was ok designing buttons that the child would need to have, but to predict what the next step in the communication would be and to allow for the opportunity to continue the conversation was very difficult. It just shows that an SLP inconjunction with a teacher who understands the program would be a great paring.

    I was also excited to see that there may be an iPad mini come on the market soon. I think that size would be a nice addition. I would also like to see a larger iPad that was designed more for table top use to allow my students with more complex gross and fine motor disabilities use the iPad more easily, and for those with limited vision.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed using Proloquo2go as well, but we struggled with the same issue....it was easier to predict what the student might need to say to initiate conversation, but how to predict and answer questions that might get asked of them??
    I also would love to see an enlarged screen for students to use who may not have the fine tuned motor skills to select even the largest icons on the Ipad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conversations really are unpredictable!

    You are right, anticipating what an individual needs for a response is very hard. However, some conversation is better than none. I take for grated each day my ability to express my wants, needs, thoughts and desires. I can't imagine what it would be like to be trapped inside myself, watching the world and not being abe to fully participate. At least with this application an individual can have limited communication.

    ReplyDelete